This easy Lemon Chicken and Potato traybake is an excellent alternative to a Sunday Roast. Classic chicken and potatoes with lemon and garlic, this is a one pan meal everyone will love.
Who doesn’t love a traybake dinner? Everything on one pan, bung it in the oven and in 45 minutes dinner is ready. This low effort chicken and potato traybake is enhanced with tasty lemon and garlic and makes an easy one tray meal.
Perfect for busy weeknights or as a lazy alternative to a Sunday Roast, this chicken traybake needs to be in your recipe rotation.
Chicken and Potato Traybake
This tasty chicken bake is really easy to pull together. Simply marinade some chicken thighs with a simple lemon garlic marinade. The chicken needs a minimum of 15 minutes marinading time, but can marinade for upto to 24 hours. I often put the chicken to marinade the night before or in the morning, making this dish even quicker to prepare on busy evenings.
The chicken then gets nestled into a baking tray with potatoes, red onion and carrots seasoned with lemon, garlic and herbs. Everything is baked together on one tray for the perfect one pan chicken and potatoes meal.
I use bone-in, skin on chicken thighs for this chicken tray bake but you can use skinless and boneless thighs as well. Chicken drumsticks work very well in this recipe too, and I often do a mix of thighs and drumsticks depending on what chicken I have available. You can also use chicken breast if you prefer.
For the perfect lemon chicken traybake you will need:
- Chicken Thighs
- Baby Potatoes
- Red Onion
- Olive Oil
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Rosemary and Thyme
Switch up your chicken traybake by using different vegetables – any root vegetables work well like parsnips or turnips. You can also use squash or chopped peppers.
Switch the potatoes for sweet potatoes or use a mix of both.
I like to use baby potatoes sliced in half but you can use a larger variety of potatoes cut into quarters or roughly 1 inch pieces.
Serving and Storing
I love this lemon chicken traybake served with some crusty bread to mop up any excess lemon and garlic pan juices. A simple green salad is also a great side dish.
Scatter some crumbled feta cheese or goats cheese over the bake when cooked as an extra tasty garnish.
Chicken traybake is best served freshly cooked, but leftovers will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or air fryer until piping hot.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More Easy Traybake Recipes:
Lemon Chicken and Potato Traybake
- large baking tray I use a 40 x 30cm tray
- 8 chicken thighs
- 500 grams baby potatoes sliced in half
- 2 red onions cut in wedges
- 8 carrots cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- Make the chicken marinade by combining all the ingredients. For best results I use a large ziploc bag but you can also use a bowl or tupperware. Add the chicken to the marinade and toss to coat evenly. Allow to marinade for at least 15 minutes, and up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 200℃/400℉.
- Add the sliced potato, carrot, red onion and crushed garlic cloves to a large baking tray. Cut a lemon in half and cut one of the halves into quarters and add to the tray. Squeeze the juice from the remaining half lemon onto the vegetables.
- Drizzle about a tablespoon of olive oil over the vegetables then sprinkle over the salt and pepper. Using your hands or a spoon, toss everything together to coat in the oil, lemon juice and seasoning. Make sure the vegetables are then arranged in one layer on the tray.
- Nestle the chicken pieces in amongst the potatoes and pour over any excess marinade. Scatter the sprigs of thyme and rosemary over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are crisp and golden.