This Cod and Chorizo traybake with Tomato and Butter Beans is perfect any night of the week. Easy to prepare, healthy and full of flavour.
An Easy Cod and Chorizo Traybake
Who else loves a traybake for dinner? So easy! And a one-pan meal is always a plus, right? Ready in under an hour, this is a great no-fuss option for busy weeknights.
Frozen Cod Fillets
This recipe uses frozen cod fillets – such a great freezer staple. But you can also use fresh – just see the recipe notes and adjust accordingly. You should always go for MSC Certified Cod which has been responsibly sourced. Pollack or coley are good substitutes. If you or whoever you’re feeding isn’t a huge fish fan, some chicken breast would also work, but you may need to adjust the cooking time slightly to ensure it’s cooked through.
If you’ve never used cooking chorizo before, it’s not like the typical cured chorizo rings or slices you can eat straight from the fridge. It needs to be fully cooked before it is eaten, but as you do it releases a delicious, spicy oil which will add a ton of flavour to the rest of your dish.
Chorizo with Tomato and Butter Beans
Chorizo and tomato is such a classic combo, right? When the oil from the chorizo mixes with the juice from the cooking tomatoes, something magic happens. It creates a delicious, flavourful sauce which perfectly compliments the flaky fish and creamy butter beans (known as lima beans if you’re in the US).
What to serve with this One-Pan Cod and Chorizo?
I love this dish best served with a simple green salad and my go-to rice, but it would also work well with boiled potatoes or just salad and some crusty bread (you need something to soak up that sauce!).
Can I use different beans?
Yes – I have used butter beans here but any white bean would work like haricot (navy) or Cannellini beans.
If you are looking for another easy dinner recipe then check out my Gnocchi Bake with Tomato and Mozzarella or my Pork Meatballs with Soy Glaze and Quick Pickled Slaw.
I hope you enjoy this Cod and Chorizo Bake. Please let me know if you try it!
Cod and Chorizo Bake with Tomato and Butter Beans
- Oven safe casserole dish or pan
- 380 gram cod fillet, in 4 pieces fresh or frozen – see note
- 250 gram cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 150 gram cooking chorizo
- 400 gram tin of butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- salt & pepper
- chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180oc/350 Fahrenheit/gas 4
- Peel off the skins of the cooking chorizo and dice.
- Heat an oven safe pan over a medium-high heat and add the chorizo (no oil needed)
- Cook the chorizo for about 3 minutes to release its oil, then add the red onion and stir to coat.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until the onion is just starting the soften, then add the tomatoes and garlic and stir.
- After 2 minutes, add the beans and a dash of salt and pepper and stir again.
- If you are using frozen fish then add it now – nestle into the sauce and season well on top.
- Put the pan in the oven, uncovered, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Take out the oven and flip the fish over with a spatula or tongs, re-nestle into the sauce and season the other side. if you are using fresh cod then season both sides and add to the sauce now.
- Place back in the oven and cook for another 12-15 minutes, until the cod is cooked through. The juices from the tomatoes, onions and chorizo should have made a delicious sauce.
- Scatter with fresh chopped parsley and serve with a big green salad and rice or some baby new potatoes (or whatever else you fancy!)