Pesto Chicken Traybake is a delicious one pan dinner with succulent chicken, pesto, juicy tomatoes and gooey melted mozzarella. The baked tomatoes and pesto create a gorgeous sauce that is begging to be mopped up with some crusty ciabatta.
I am a big fan of traybake dinners, they are so easy and fuss free. Combine the tasty ingredients together in one baking dish, stick it in the oven and wait for a delicious meal with minimal effort (and minimal washing up).
Chicken, Pesto and Tomato Bake
Chicken with basil pesto is such a wonderful combination. Combine with some juicy cherry tomatoes and creamy mozzarella and you have a perfect dish. This incredibly easy chicken traybake is inspired by the flavours of the Italian Tricolore salad. Tomato, mozzarella and basil to represent the red, white and green of the Italian flag.
The tomatoes release juices as they cook, mixing with the jammy shallots, melting mozzarella and pesto to create a delicious jus. The sauce keeps the chicken lovely and moist and is just begging to be mopped up with warm and crusty ciabatta.
Pesto Chicken Traybake Ingredients
- Chicken Breast
- Cherry Tomatoes – sweet and juicy, use a mixture of different coloured tomatoes for a real showstopper.
- Basil Pesto – I prefer to use fresh pesto but a good-quality jar is perfectly fine.
- Fresh Mozzarella – a creamy ball of Buffalo Mozzarella.
- Shallots – they get lovely and jammy as they cook with the tomatoes. You can substitute in wedges of red onion.
- Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Basil – for garnish.
I use this oval Le Creuset baking dish for my pesto Chicken Bake. I recommend a deep baking dish roughly 24cm – you want the tomatoes and chicken to fit snugly in one layer in the dish.
I love this Chicken and Pesto Traybake best with a big bowl of fresh salad and some crusty bread (preferably warm Italian Ciabatta). Try it with my Tomato and Mozzarella Salad.
It is delicious with some steamed vegetables like broccoli or green beans – try these delicious Buttery Lemon & Garlic Green Beans from Feast Glorious Feast. Serve with some buttery baby potatoes on the side.
This easy traybake is perfect with rice or a short pasta shape like orzo. Toss through the tomatoes after cooking to soak up the sauce.
Leave out the mozzarella for a dairy free version.
This is a great dish to serve when entertaining. Simply double or triple the ingredients to feed a crowd. Serve the dish in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves. Use a mix of different coloured cherry tomatoes for an impressive looking dish with minimal effort!
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
Looking for some more traybake recipes? You will love these:
- Seabass and Chorizo Traybake
- Salmon and Potato Traybake
- Cod and Chorizo Traybake
- Gnocchi Traybake with Sausage and Fennel
- Baked Orzo with Roast Mediterranean Vegetables
Pesto Chicken Traybake with Tomato and Mozzarella
- 2 chicken breasts
- 400 grams cherry tomatoes
- 4 shallots or 2 banana shallots
- 3 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 cloves garlic
- 125 grams mozzarella
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- handful fresh basil leaves optional, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 220°c/200fan/gas 4/425f.
- Peel the shallots and cut into halves or quarters, depending on size. Peel the garlic cloves and crush with the flat edge of a knife.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, garlic and shallots to a roasting dish. Season generously with salt and pepper then toss with a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of pesto.
- Lightly season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper then rub one tablespoon all over each breast to coat. Nestle the chicken in with the tomatoes and drizzle over a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Flip the chicken breasts over and give the tomatoes a good stir. Cut the mozzarella into 4 thick slices and lay half over each chicken breast.
- Return to the oven and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. You may need slightly longer if using very large, thick chicken breasts. Use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature at the thickest part of the chicken breast is at least 75°c/165f or slice with a knife to check there is no pink remaining.
- Sprinkle with a handful of torn basil leaves and serve with green salad and warm ciabatta to soak up the delicious tomato sauce.