Pesto Chicken Traybake is a delicious one-pan dinner. Simple yet stylish, the baked tomatoes and pesto create a gorgeous sauce that is begging to be mopped up with some crusty ciabatta.
Chicken and Pesto
Chicken with basil pesto is such a wonderful combination. Combine with some juicy cherry tomatoes and creamy mozzarella and you have a perfect dish. This incredibly easy traybake is inspired by the flavours of the Italian Tricolore salad. Tomato, mozzarella and basil to represent the red, white and green of the Italian flag.
The tomatoes release juices as they cook, mixing with the melting mozzarella and pesto to create a delicious jus. The sauce keeps the chicken lovely and moist and is just begging to be mopped up with warm and crusty ciabatta.
- Chicken Breast
- Cherry Tomatoes – sweet and juicy, use a mixture of different coloured tomatoes for a real showstopper.
- Basil Pesto – I prefer to use fresh pesto but a good-quality jar is perfectly fine.
- Fresh Mozzarella – a creamy ball of Buffalo Mozzarella.
- Shallots – they get lovely and jammy as they cook with the tomatoes. You can substitute in wedges of red onion.
- Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Basil – for garnish.
What to Serve with this Chicken Traybake
I love this dish best with a big bowl of fresh salad and some crusty bread (preferably warm Italian Ciabatta). Try it with my Tomato and Mozzarella Salad.
It is delicious with some steamed vegetables like broccoli or green beans – try these delicious Buttery Lemon & Garlic Green Beans from Feast Glorious Feast. Serve with some buttery baby potatoes on the side.
This easy traybake is perfect with pasta or rice. Toss through the tomatoes after cooking to soak up the sauce.
This is a great dish to serve when entertaining. Simply double or triple the ingredients to feed a crowd. Serve the dish in the middle of the table for everyone to help themselves. Use a mix of different coloured cherry tomatoes for an impressive looking dish with minimal effort!
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
Looking for some more traybake recipes? You will love these:
- Chicken and Chorizo Traybake
- Salmon and Potato Traybake
- Cod and Chorizo Traybake
- Gnocchi Traybake with Sausage and Fennel
Pesto Chicken Traybake with Tomato and Mozzarella
- Roasting Dish
- 2 chicken breasts
- 400 grams cherry tomatoes
- 4 shallots or 2 banana shallots
- 3 tbsp basil pesto
- 2 cloves garlic
- 75 grams mozzarella
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- handful fresh basil leaves optional, to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 200°c/180fan/gas 4/350f.
- Peel the shallots and cut into halves or quarters, depending on size. Peel the garlic cloves and crush with the flat edge of a knife.
- Add the cherry tomatoes, garlic and shallots to a roasting dish. Season generously with salt and pepper then toss with a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of pesto.
- Lightly season the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken in with the tomatoes and drizzle over a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Flip the chicken breasts over and spread a tablespoon of pesto over each one. Cut the mozzarella into thick slices and lay half over each chicken breast.
- Return to the oven and continue to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with a handful of torn basil leaves and serve with green salad and warm ciabatta to soak up the delicious tomato sauce.