Borlotti bean salad with fresh tomatoes, red pepper and a tangy sherry vinegar dressing is the perfect side dish or light meal. Packed with protein, fibre and nutrients, it’s both nutritious and delicious. Try this easy recipe today and discover your new favourite side salad!
I love a versatile salad that works just as well on its own as it does as a side dish. Similar to my Mediterranean White Bean Salad, this tasty Borlotti Bean Salad goes well with almost any grilled or fried protein. It is great for BBQs or Pot Lucks and perfect for meal prep as it is so easy to customise and transport for different meals.
Why You Need To Try This Salad
- Quick and Easy – Borlotti bean salad is easy to make and can be ready in just a few minutes. You can prepare it ahead of time and store it in the fridge for an easy and healthy meal that’s ready to go when you are.
- Nutritious – Borlotti beans are packed with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making them a healthy and satisfying addition to any meal. They can help keep you feeling full and energized throughout the day.
- Versatile – Not only does this bean salad compliment so many other dishes, it is also so easy to custmise to your tastes. Add different herbs or vegetables to make it your own and suit the season or dining occasion.
- Borlotti Beans – The star of the show. I use canned beans for ease. Borlotti beans are also know as cranberry beans, rosecoco beans or romano beans. You can swap for white beans or chickpeas if you prefer.
- Sherry Vinegar – I think the sweet, nutty flavour of sherry vinegar in this salad dressing goes so well with the smooth and creamy beans. Red wine vinegar makes a decent substitute.
- Tomatoes – I love to use sweet and juicy cherry tomatoes, but any kind work well. Cut bigger tomatoes into bite-sized chunks.
- Red Pepper – Sweet pointed peppers, or Romano Peppers are my favourite for salads but any red peppers will be great.
- Shallot – add a nice crispness to the creamy beans and juicy tomatoes. You can substitute red onion.
- Parsley – my herb of choice for his bean salad. You could also try basil or coriander.
Serving and Storing
Borlotti bean salad makes an excellent side dish for grilled chicken, fish or pork. It is the perfect side dish for BBQs or grill nights.
I love to prep a batch of borlotti salad at the beginning of the week for lunches. I stir through flaked tuna or feta cheese and add either mixed salad leaves or a cooked grain to make it a meal.
My new favourite way to serve a roast chicken in the warmer months is with a side of borlotti bean salad and some Lemon Dill Potato Salad.
This tasty bean salad will last for 3 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More Easy Salad Recipes:
Borlotti Bean salad
- 400 gram tin borlotti beans rinsed and drained
- 1 romano pepper thinly sliced
- 2 banana shallots diced
- 200 grams cherry or grape tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt or ½ tsp table salt
- To make the dressing, whisk the olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt together in a large bowl until thickened and creamy.
- Add the beans, sliced peppers, tomatoes and diced shallots to the bowl and stir well.
- Sprinkle in the parsley and toss to combine, making sure the salad ingredients and all coated in the dressing. Add extra salt and parsley to taste if desired.
Leave a Reply