Looking for a refreshing and nutritious salad? Try this Mediterranean chopped salad with feta cheese. Inspired by traditional Greek Salad, it’s packed with vibrant veggies like crisp cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, and tangy feta cheese. Easy to make, healthy, and perfect as a quick lunch or as a side dish. Get the recipe now and indulge in a taste of the Mediterranean!
What is Chopped Salad?
Chopped salads are one of my favourite side dishes. Easy and customisable, you can serve them as a side dish for almost anything. And a chopped salad is an excellent way to use up all the random veggies left at the bottom of your fridge.
In a chopped salad, all the ingredients are chopped to a small and uniform size, then tossed with some form of salad dressing. This means that one bite of salad will deliver all the flavours perfectly combined. Plus, the fact that the ingredients are all chopped means better absorption of dressing – no soggy lettuce leaves in this feta chopped salad.
Chopped salad is so good because all the ingredients are chopped into small pieces, they mix together in a way that creates the perfect combination of texture and flavour distribution in every bite.
Why You Need to Try this Recipe
- Easy to Prepare – There are no complicated steps in this salad recipe. You simply need to chop some veggies and feta cheese, whisk up a simple dressing and combine. You can even use one of those viral box style food choppers or a mini chopper to make it even easier.
- Healthy – Mediterranean cuisine is widely known for its health benefits. This salad is packed with fresh, nutrient-rich vegetables, providing a wealth of vitamins, minerals, and fibre plus feta cheese which is rich in protein and calcium. It’s a great way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet and promote overall well-being.
- Versatile – A Mediterranean chopped salad with feta is easy to customise and great for so many different occasions. You can enjoy it as a standalone meal, serve it as a side dish, or even use it as a filling for wraps or pita bread. It lasts a couple of days in the fridge too, making this salad perfect for meal prep.
The full list is in the recipe card below, but here are a few helpful hints about key ingredients to help you make the best Mediterranean Chopped Salad.
- Feta Cheese – the star of the show, a brined white cheese from Greece, made from sheep’s milk or a combination of sheep and goat milk. It has a creamy, crumbly texture and a sharp, tangy flavour. This chopped salad uses cubed feta. I also like to mash half of the feta cheese with an extra dash of oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt. I like how it really distributes the feta through the salad, but you can absolutely skip this step and just use the cubed pieces.
- Cucumber – I use English cucumber or Persian cucumber in salads. Neither need to be peeled or deseeded.
- Tomato – Cherry or grape tomatoes are my preference in a chopped salad. You can cut them in half or quarters depending on size.
- Red Onion – I love the bite of red onion in a chopped salad, but if you find it too much you can run the sliced onions under cold water to make them less pungent.
- Bell Pepper – Any colour of bell pepper works well in this salad.
- Herbs – Dried oregano for the dressing and fresh parsley for the salad. Fresh dill and basil also work very well.
- Red Wine Vinegar – You can also use white wine vinegar or lemon juice.
Serving and Storing
Mediterranean Chopped Salad makes a great lunch – I love to serve it with either orzo or bulgar wheat. Some toasted pitta bread and a dollop of hummus are also a tasty addition.
This is the BEST side salad to serve with my Air Fryer Turkey Feta Meatballs.
Olives make a great addition, as well as lettuce or salad leaves.
It is easy to transport, making it ideal for work or school lunches.
Add white beans or chickpeas to chopped salad for added fibre and protein.
Feta Chopped Salad makes an excellent side to grilled meat and fish. I love it with grilled chicken. It is the perfect side dish for grilling, BBQs and garden parties.
This easy chopped salad with feta cheese will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More Easy Salad Recipes:
- Borlotti Bean Salad
- Mango, Black Bean & Corn Salad
- Mediterranean White Bean Salad
- Halloumi and Bulgur Salad
Mediterranean Chopped Salad with Feta
- large salad bowl
- chopping bowl
- 150 grams cherry or gape tomatoes
- ½ english cucumber
- 1 red onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 100 grams feta cheese
- bunch fresh parsley finely chopped
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 tsp flaky sea salt
- To make the dressing, combine the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together until thickened and creamy.
- Thinly slice the red onion and chop the bell pepper and cucumber into bite sized pieces. Slice the cherry tomatoes in half (or quarters if they are quite large.)
- Cut the feta into small chunks, roughly 1-2cm. Optional – I like to mash half of the feta cheese with an extra dash of oil, vinegar and a pinch of salt. I like how it really distributes the feta through the salad, but you can absolutely skip this step and just use the cubed pieces.
- Add the feta and chopped veg to the bowl with the dressing. Sprinkle in the chopped parsley and toss to combine and distribute the dressing. You may wish to add additional salt and/or vinegar to taste.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.