Super easy Prawn Tacos with Red Pepper Slaw. Come together in under 30 minutes and full of fresh zingy flavour.
I love prawns but hardly ever get the chance to eat them since my dear husband is deathly allergic… If I find myself home alone at dinner time prawns are always my go to. The other day I was craving something a little spicy with tons of flavour and texture, so these super easy and delicious Prawn Tacos were born.
There’s a little prep involved but minimal cooking, which makes them great for an easy weeknight meal. And especially good on a hot summer evening when you don’t want to turn the oven on. You could even skewer the prawns and cook them on the BBQ or grill if you’re feeling like an al fresco dinner situation.
The trick is to get everything prepped and ready before you cook the prawns so you can scoop them straight out the pan and onto your assembled tacos. I served mine with easy Guac and a crunchy red pepper slaw, but you could totally pimp them up with some lettuce, salsa, sour cream or even some grated cheese. Enjoy!
If you’re looking for another easy taco recipe then check out my Chorizo Breakfast Tacos.
I hope you love these Easy Prawn Tacos with Red Pepper Slaw as much as I do! Please leave me a comment if you try the recipe.
Easy Prawn Tacos with Red Pepper Slaw
- 500 grams Peeled Prawns (or Shrimp) I used pre-cooked prawns, but raw would 100% work – you just need to make sure they are pink and thoroughly cooked before serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for cooking
- 1/2 tsp dried garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- pinch salt & pepper
- 6-8 6-inch tortillas (I made 6 stuffed tacos but you could certainly make 8 with added toppings!)
For the Red Pepper Slaw
- half a head cabbage finely sliced
- 1 red pepper julienned (I cut mine in half and used a vegetable peeler to get fine strips)
- 2 carrots julienned (as above)
- 1 bunch spring onions finely diced
- 1/4 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup lime juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp chipotle style hot sauce (or you can sub in your preferred hot sauce flavour)
Easy Taco Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (if you prefer a more tangy sauce simply go for all greek yoghurt)
- 1/4 cup greek yoghurt
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (I prefer Frank's but what ever you like best!)
- 1 pinch salt & pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 red onion finely diced
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- salt to taste
- If you are using frozen prawns then make sure they are fully defrosted – either place in a colander and rise with cold water, or leave in the fridge overnight to thaw.
- Place the prawns in a bowl and cover with the olive oil, herbs and spices. Mix with a spoon to make sure they are evenly coated with seasoning. Pop them back in the fridge while you prep the slaw.
- Mix the carrots, cabbage, spring onion and red pepper in a large bowl.
- In a small jug, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Slowly add the dressing to the slaw mix, making sure to keep mixing everything together – depending on how saucy you like your slaw you may not need all the dressing.
- Taco Sauce is super simple – just mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl and add salt & pepper to taste, and adjust the amount of hot sauce to your preferred level of spice.
- For the Guac, slice the avocado and scoop out the flesh. Add the lime juice and mash it up before adding the onion and a pinch of salt.
- When all your condiments are prepared and it's time to eat, heat up your tortillas – you can either wrap them in foil and warm in the oven at 170°c for about 15 minutes or place them in a dry frying pan over medium heat for 10-15 seconds each side.
- Prep your tacos – you want them to be ready so you can throw in the prawns as soon as they're cooked. Spoon a dollop of Guac into the middle of each tortilla and spread evenly. Top with a generous spoonful of slaw.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat (you can always use the same one for the tortillas to save on washing up!) and drizzle in a little olive oil. When the oil is hot, chuck in your prawns and give them a stir.
- If you started with pre-cooked prawns then you really just want to warm them through – cook for about 3 minutes, stirring them round the pan. If your prawns are raw, you need to cook them till they turn fully pink – about 5 minutes.
- As soon as your prawns are cooked, spoon them onto the prepped tortillas and drizzle with Taco Sauce.
- Serve immediately with a squeeze of lime and a margarita!