Beef Burrito Bowls pack all the flavour of a delicious burrito but without the tortilla. Served with a fresh and zingy Corn & Black Bean salsa and easy to customise to your tastes!
Mexican Inspired Burrito Bowls
I love any and all food inspired by the rich and vibrant dishes of Mexico. Corn and black beans are both staples of Mexican food and they perfectly compliment each other in this fresh and tasty salsa.
I love a good burrito with all the toppings – cheese, guacamole, salsa, sour cream etc! But sometimes I crave something a little lighter, which is why I love these burrito bowls so much. All the flavour of a beef burrito but without the heavy tortilla wrap.
Sometimes I serve them with rice for a hearty meal, sometimes with shredded lettuce for something lighter, or a mix of the two for in-between. These burrito bowls are also great for family dinner or casual entertaining – serve the beef and salsa at the table along with an array of sides and let everyone build their own bowl!
Corn and Black Bean Salsa
The salsa is really what makes this dish – it’s so full of flavour and perfect for scooping up with crunchy tortilla chips. It’s super easy to make too, and conveniently uses tinned sweetcorn and black beans – two things I almost always have in my pantry.
You can easily customise the fresh ingredients and use up what you have to hand. I like to use black beans but you can swap them out for black-eyed beans or chickpeas if you prefer.
You NEED to serve these Beef Burrito Bowls with a hearty dollop of my easy Guacamole – they are a match made in heaven.
I love these bowls with rice, but it is great with shredded lettuce for a lighter option. You could also use quinoa or do a mix of lettuce and rice or quinoa.
Grated cheddar or mozzarella is the perfect topping for the spicy beef, and you need some crunchy tortillas for scooping everything up.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More easy Mexican inspired recipes:
- Halloumi Tacos with Avocado Ranch
- Easy Chicken Fajitas
- Easy Prawn Tacos with Red Pepper Slaw
- Chorizo Breakfast Tacos
- Foolproof Guacamole
Beef Burrito Bowls with Corn & Black Bean Salsa
For the Beef
- 500 grams beef mince/ground beef ideally 10%-15% lean
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- 1 cup passata
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic granules
- 1/2 tsp onion granules
- 1/2 tsp paprika
For the Corn & Black Bean Salsa
- 380 gram tin black beans
- 325 gram tin of sweetcorn
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 red or yellow pepper
- 1 red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chilli
- 1 tsp salt
- Cooked rice or quinoa
- Grated cheddar or mozzarella
- Shredded lettuce
- Tortilla Chips
- Prepare the salsa first, so the flavours have time to meld as you cook the beef.
- Drain and rinse the corn and black beans and put in a large bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, scoop out the seeds and liquid and discard. Dice the flesh and add to the bowl.
- Dice the pepper, onion and chilli (if you don't like it too spicy then you can just add half) and mix them with the corn, beans and tomato.
- Sprinkle the salt and coriander over the salsa, pour over the lime juice and oil and mix everything together. Set aside while you prepare the beef.
- To make your beef heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium to high heat.
- Add the beef to the pan and break it up with a spatula. Cook for about 5 minutes until the beef is browned, stirring occasionally.
- Add all the seasonings and mix well, then mix in the tomato paste and passata.
- Turn the heat to medium and let it simmer gently for about 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Assemble your bowls – I like to start with rice or lettuce, a generous spoonful each of beef and salsa, then top with a dollop of guac and some grated cheddar cheese. Crispy tortilla chips are optional but great for scooping up some salsa!