The classic Margarita gets a festive makeover with Amaretto and fresh orange juice. Perfect for a winter night in, these Amaretto Orange Margaritas are a real treat.
A classic margarita with a really good blanco tequila, fresh lime juice and agave is by far my favourite cocktail. As proven by my Irn Bru Margarita and Strawberry Tequila Fizz, I do also love a twist to the classic margarita. I find that margaritas are usually best served with a big side of sunshine though!
Adding some Amaretto and orange juice really brings a subtle winter warmth to this typically sunny weather cocktail. The sweetness from the orange and Amaretto also means that you can skip the agave or sugar, so I’m telling myself these are guilt free…
How to Make Amaretto Orange Margaritas at Home
It’s really simple – you just add the tequila, Amaretto and fresh orange and lime juices to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake it vigorously for 30 seconds to a minute, until the outside of the shaker feels cold to the touch.
Use a lime wedge to damp the rim of a glass and dip in salt (or sugar if you prefer, or even a mix of both) then strain your cocktail mix into the prepared glass over ice. Add some garnish – I like a lime wedge, orange slice and a little sprig of thyme to make it feel extra fancy. Then drink up and enjoy!
You can use a clean jar, sports bottle or protein drink shaker to shake your cocktail!
Of course! You can add a spoonful of honey, agave or simple syrup to taste before shaking.
You don’t need to, you can use shop bought if you prefer or it’s all you have. I have to stress though it makes a big difference using fresh juice, especially the lime!
YES! Great idea! Simply multiply the ingredients by 5 (or more!) and add to a pitcher or jug filled with ice. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and make sure to give it a really good stir before serving over more ice.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
Looking for a Mexican Inspired dish to serve with these Margaritas? Try one of these:
Festive Amaretto Orange Margarita
- Cocktail Shaker or Jar
- 75 ml freshly squeezed orange juice about 1 large orange
- 30 ml fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- 30 ml Blanco tequila
- 30 ml Amaretto
- Salt (or sugar) to rim the glass
- optional garnishes – lime wedges, oranges slices, thyme sprigs
- Run a wedge of lime around the edge of a glass then dip the rim into some salt.
- Add the orange and lime juice, amaretto and tequila to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. (If you don't own a shaker, then a clean jam jar or even a protein drink shaker will work).
- Shake vigorously for a minute, until the outside of the shaker feels cold, then strain into the salt-rimmed glass over ice.
- I like to garnish these with a lime wedge, a slice of orange and a sprig of thyme.
This recipe is linked to CookBlogShare hosted by Melissa Traub.
Leave a Reply