A simple but delicious sausage and bean casserole with cannellini beans, carrots and a rich tomato sauce. Perfect comfort food!
Perfect Comfort Food
When you were a kid did you ever eat those tins of baked beans and sausages? I won’t lie – I did use to love them! This sausage and bean casserole is kind of like the grown-up version, with actual vegetables and no added sugar, just good stuff. Am I selling it to you?
An Easy One-Pot Dinner
This sausage casserole is a really easy one-pot dinner which can be on the table in less than an hour. I love to serve it with some creamy mashed potatoes to soak up all the sauce and some peas or broccoli to add some greens. A great winter warmer dish, I guarantee this will make you feel all warm and cosy!
What Sausages Can I Use?
I typically use some good-quality Cumberland pork sausages from my local butcher. They’re my favourite, but any quality sausages will work. Use your family favourite or even try it with chicken or veggie sausages. I absolutely love these Cauldron vegetarian sausages and they work perfectly in this casserole.
Can I make this Sausage and Bean Casserole Vegetarian?
Yes! Use vegetarian sausages as above, and swap out the chicken stock for veg.
Can I Freeze It?
Yes – this recipe is perfect for freezing. Allow the dish to cool and transfer in portions to a suitable freezer safe container. Freeze within 2 hours of cooking. To serve, defrost in the fridge overnight. Reheat either on the hob or in the microwave, until piping hot throughout – you may wish to add a splash of water when reheating to loosen the sauce.
What Do I Serve with this Simple Sausage & Bean Casserole?
I love it best with mashed potato and peas. Any steamed greens are great, especially broccoli or buttery peas. You could also serve this casserole with rice, boiled potatoes or even simply some crusty bread.
I used a 30cm Shallow Casserole Dish to cook this recipe.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
Some more comfort food recipes I you might like:
Simple Sausage & Bean Casserole
- Shallow Casserole Dish or Fying Pan with a Lid
- 8 good quality sausages use your preference – pork, vegetarian or chicken
- 1 onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 3-4 carrots chopped
- 400 gram tin of cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 400 gram tin of chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves can substitute 1/2 tbsp dried
- 1 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat oil in your casserole dish over a medium to high heat and brown the sausages – you don't need to fully cook them at this point, you just want some colour on the skins.
- Take out the sausages and set aside on a plate, turn the heat down to medium then add the onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add in the garlic and carrots and cook for another 2 minutes, then add in the tomato paste, bay and thyme leaves.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes and stock and bring to the boil, then return the sausages to the pan.
- Cover with the lid, turn the heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- Take off the lid, give it a good stir to make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pan, add the beans then let it simmer on low with the lid off for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste and serve with some veggies and potatoes, rice or crusty bread to mop up the sauce – I love this with creamy mashed potatoes and some peas or broccoli.
Leave a Reply