A Lebanese inspired Tabbouleh Style Bulgur salad with peppers, tomatoes and cucumbers with a fresh citrus and sumac dressing. Easy to prepare and keeps well in the fridge for a great side dish.
I first made this salad to take to a dinner party where the main dish was chicken shawarma. It’s inspired by the traditional Lebanese Tabbouleh recipe, with my own little twist.
It’s a simple mix of tomato, cucumber, bell pepper and red onion, with some fresh chopped herbs, lemon juice and sumac for seasoning. Easy and quick to prepare and great to make ahead – the flavours really meld together when left in the fridge for a few hours.
I love serving mine with halloumi but it’s such a great side for so many dishes, including shawarma, grilled fish or lamb kofta. I like to stuff leftovers in pitta bread or simply serve over a mix of greens for an easy and healthy lunch. This also goes great with my white bean hummus!
I hope you like this Tabbouleh Style Bulgur Salad – please leave me a comment if you try it!
Tabbouleh Style Bulgur Salad
For the Tabbouleh
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1 whole red or orange pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 whole cucumber
- 3 tomatoes
- 1/2 a lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sumac optional
- 1 garlic clove
- To prepare the bulgur, pour into a bowl and cover with 1 cup of freshly boiled water. Set aside for 20 minutes while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- Finely dice up the pepper, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, garlic and herbs and add to a large bowl.
- Pour the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and sumac over the salad along with a pinch of salt and pepper and mix everything together.
- Check your bulgur – it should have soaked up most of the liquid and about doubled in size. Drain off any excess water, add the bulgar to your salad and mix everything together so it's well combined.
- You can serve immediately or store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days, making this the perfect meal prep for a busy week or to serve at a dinner party or barbecue.
- My absolute favourite way to serve my Tabbouleh is on a bed of mixed leaves with a big dollop of my white bean hummus and some grilled halloumi.