This Prawn and Cardamom Rice with Peas, Turmeric and Creme Fraiche is such a comforting and easy dinner made with freezer and pantry staples.
Prawn and Cardamom Rice with Peas
This is one of my favourite quick and easy comfort food dishes. The cardamom adds a lovely warming flavour (as well as plenty of health benefits!) And the creamy Crème fraîche just brings everything together so well. I love just about any dish that contains prawns or peas too, so both is definitely a winner!
Pantry Staples – Frozen Peas and Prawns
I always have some frozen peas stashed. They are so easy to throw in pasta and rice dishes and are one of few vegetables which are usually better frozen than fresh. A bag of frozen prawns is also a great freezer staple. My husband has a shellfish allergy so I cheekily like to keep a bag to hand so I can treat myself to them whenever he ends up out of the house at dinner time…
Quick, No-fuss Dinner
Since the rice is baked in the oven before you quickly cook the peas and prawns, this is a great recipe for when you have a huge to-do list in the evening or just need some time to chill before dinner. You can stick it in the oven and forget about it for 20 minutes while you hang the washing up or pour yourself a glass of wine.
Yes – this dish actually tastes excellent with some chopped soft-boiled eggs either to replace the prawns or to add some extra protein.
Yes – swap the prawns for boiled eggs as above and use vegetable stock instead of chicken.
I love to serve this with a crispy green salad and some buttery garlic and herb flatbreads or naan.
Prawn & Cardamom Rice with Peas
- Oven safe casserole dish with a lid
- Frying Pan
- 200 grams cooked frozen prawns, thawed
- 200 grams frozen peas
- 275 grams basmati rice rinsed and drained
- 50 grams butter divided in half
- 1 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic diced
- 10 green cardamom pods cracked open
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 200 grams light crème fraîche
- salt & pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped parsley or dill
- Preheat your oven to 200°c/180°c fan / gas mark 6
- Thaw your frozen prawns by placing them in a colander and rinsing with cold running water (don't use hot!) until they are soft. Season them with a little salt & pepper and leave in the fridge while you prepare the rice.
- Warm an oven safe casserole dish over a medium-high heat and melt half the butter
- Add the onions and fry until they are soft but not browned – about 5 minutes
- Add the garlic and cardamom pods, stir and cook for another minute
- Stir in the rice and the turmeric then pour in the stock and bring it to the boil
- Pop on the lid, wait for about a minute to allow some steam to build up, then put the pot in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes
- Once your rice has cooked – it should have soaked up the liquid without being dry and be al-dente to bite but not chewy- you can cook the prawns and peas
- Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan and add the frozen peas (no need to thaw). Stir them over a medium to high heat for about 3-5 minutes until they are cooked. Then add your thawed prawns, cooking for about a minute until they are warmed through.
- Pick out the cardamom pods from the rice – they should have risen to the top to make it nice and easy for you.
- Stir the prawns, peas and crème fraîche into the rice. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve, garnished with the chopped herbs, and enjoy!