Quick and easy yet decadent and date-night worthy, Smoked Salmon and Prawn Linguine has a deliciously creamy lemon and white wine sauce plus a bite of peppery rocket.
Linguine with smoked salmon and prawns? It sounds (and feels) super fancy, but in reality this is a super quick and easy seafood pasta to pull together. If you are looking for a dish that is simple to whip up on a busy weeknight but stylish enough to impress your dinner date then this is it!
Smoked Salmon Pasta
Smoked salmon just feels like a decadent treat, and it can be an impressive addition to any dish. It also has some great health benefits when added to your diet in moderation. Smoked salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids, nutrients like vitamin B12, A & E as well as being high in protein.
For this Smoked Salmon and Prawn linguine I prefer to use smoked salmon trimmings. Trimmings are much more affordable than slices of smoked salmon, but still have all the flavour. They may not look quite as fancy, but work great for this recipe as the smoked salmon will be sliced up into bite sized pieces anyway!
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Smoked Salmon Trimmings – You could use lox, hot smoked salmon, tinned salmon or leftover cooked salmon fillet instead. If you don’t eat salmon you could also swap it out for extra prawns or another smoked fish like trout or mackerel.
- Prawns or Shrimp – I prefer to use little cold water prawns as I find them more flavourful. King prawns or jumbo shrimp will also work well, or even crayfish tails. If you are using uncooked prawns just add them to the sauce a few minutes earlier to cook through. The prawns can also be easily left out or substituted with extra smoked salmon if you prefer.
- Red Onion – or 2-3 shallots.
- Rocket or Arugula – adds a nice peppery bite. You can leave it out if you prefer or swap for some baby spinach or chopped fresh herbs like parsley or dill. Steamed peas or asparagus would also be a great addition.
- Creme Fraiche – full or half fat both work well. Sub double or heavy cream for a richer dish.
- Lemon – juice for the sauce and zest for garnish. Use unwaxed lemons if you can or give waxed lemons a scrub under warm water before using.
- Pasta – I like a long pasta like linguine or tagliatelle for this recipe, but any pasta shape will do.
- White Wine – ideally a crisp, dry white like sauvignon blanc or pinot grigio. Leave it out if you don’t drink alcohol – add a little pasta cooking water instead.
No I do not recommend freezing this pasta dish.
This smoked salmon and prawn pasta is best served when freshly cooked – the prawns and salmon should not be reheated.
Yes – just use a gluten free pasta.
Yes – swap the creme fraiche for a dairy free version or use a dairy free double/heavy cream alternative.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
Try one of my other easy pasta dishes:
- Creamy Leek and Pancetta Pasta
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Salmon Pea Pasta
- Prawn and Chorizo Spaghetti
Smoked Salmon and Prawn Linguine
- 1 Non stick frying pan
- 1 Pasta Pot
- 1 Spatula or wooden spoon
- 1 Kitchen tongs
- 180 grams linguine or pasta of your choice
- 75 grams smoked salmon trimmings sliced into bite sized pieces
- 75 grams prawns or shrimp cooked and peeled
- 150 ml white wine
- 4 tbsp creme fraiche
- 75 grams rocket arugula
- 1 red onion finely diced
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the diced onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to packet instructions in a large pot of salted water. Drain when al dente and reserve a cup of the cooking water.
- Stir the white wine into the onion and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes until the wine has reduced by half.
- Stir the creme fraiche and lemon juice into the onions and simmer for 2-3 minutes to warm through. Stir in the prawns and salmon trimmings.
- Add a splash of pasta cooking water before stirring in the pasta and rocket with the rest of the ingredients. Use tongs to give everything a good stir and add pasta water as required to get your desired consistency of sauce.
- Divide equally between two bowls and garnish with lemon zest to serve.