An easy and healthy way to upgrade your scrambled eggs – peppers, tomatoes, cheese, bacon and a sprinkle of chilli make these Fiesta Scrambled Eggs a party on your plate. Perfect for brunch!
Mexican Inspired Scrambled Eggs
Eggs are my favourite breakfast dish, especially scrambled eggs with sourdough toast slathered in salted butter. And what’s better than scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast? FIESTA Scrambled eggs on toast!
This Mexican inspired scramble is upgraded with some diced tomato and pepper, a sprinkle of cheese and a dash of chilli, and crowned with some crispy chopped bacon. I like to serve my Fiesta Eggs with buttery toast but they are also excellent as a breakfast burrito filling.
Tips and Substitutions
- You can leave the bacon out if you prefer to keep it vegetarian, or swap it out for chorizo or even shredded chicken.
- I like to cook this dish (and any scrambled eggs) with butter, but you can use your favourite cooking oil if you prefer
- This recipe makes 2 generous portions, but if you’re feeding a crowd you can very easily just double up the ingredients
- My favourite way to cook bacon is in the oven – line a baking tray with greaseproof or baking paper and lay out the streaky bacon rashers. Place in the middle of a COLD oven and turn the heat to 200c/180fan/400f/gas6 and cook for about 20 mins until your desired crispness.
I hope you love this recipe for Fiesta Scrambled Eggs! Please do leave me a comment if you enjoy it.
Fiesta Scrambled Eggs
- Large frying pan
- 4 eggs
- 1 small white onion
- ½ a pepper any colour will do
- 2 tomatoes
- 25 grams grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- a pinch (or more!) chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp butter or oil
- 6 rashers cooked streaky bacon optional
- Salt & Pepper
- chopped chives to garnish or parsley or coriander
- Dice the pepper and onion. Slice the tomatoes in half, scoop out and discard the seeds and juice then dice the flesh.
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl or jug. Season well with salt and pepper plus a pinch (or more if you like it hot!) of chilli flakes.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pepper and tomato and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- When the vegetables are beginning to soften, pour in the eggs and scatter over the cheese.
- Stir well and let cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly, until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Scatter with chopped bacon and some fresh chives and serve with buttered toast.