A classic, no-fuss side – tomato and mozzarella salad dressed with fresh lemon juice and olive oil. It’s on our dinner table almost every night.
My Go-To Side Salad Recipe
Every House has a salad right? That easy go-to that you can whip up without thinking. The salad that’s always on your dinner table.
This is my basic version. It’s bursting with juicy ripe tomatoes and creamy mozzarella with some tangy lemon and olive oil to dress it up.
Choose your Salad Leaves
Here I’m using a mix of rocket (arugula), baby spinach, butterhead lettuce, chard and baby red lettuce. You can use pretty much any salad leaves or lettuce you like, but I’d suggest making sure there’s some rocket in there somewhere for a nice peppery bite.
Use Good Quality Tomato and Mozzarella
The tomatoes and mozzarella should be the best quality you can reasonably afford. I recommend tomatoes on the vine, and any size will do as you’re chopping them up. Sometimes I use cherry, sometimes roma or plum. It doesn’t matter too much as long as they are nice and ripe. Feel free to scoop out the juice and seeds from larger tomatoes if that’s your jam, but for salads I never bother.
Switch Up Your Salad
Sometimes we change it up a little. Maybe we leave out the mozzarella to keep it lighter and add in some cucumber or sliced peppers or even olives. It’s a great way to use up any salad-appropriate vegetables lying around in your fridge.
My Tomato and Mozzarella salad was made to be served alongside this Pizza Tart.
If you’re looking for another salad recipe try my Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing or Tabbouleh Style Bulgar Salad.
I hope you like this recipe! Please leave me a comment if you try it.
Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
- 120 gram ripe, good quality tomatoes ideally on the vine
- 100 gram salad leaves any will do, but try to include some rocket/arugula
- 125 gram fresh mozzarella
- ½ tsp flaky salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- Wash and dry the salad leaves, add to a bowl and toss with the lemon juice.
- Dice the tomatoes and add to the bowl with the salad leaves.
- Chop or tear the mozzarella into small pieces. Add to the bowl with the salad and tomato.
- Drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle the salt and a crack of black pepper over the salad.
- Toss well and serve.