Sausage Sandwiches with roast peppers and onions. The hot sandwich filling is all cooked on one tray for an easy and delicious meal that everyone will enjoy.
Who doesn’t love a good sausage sarnie? They are deliciously satisfying at pretty much anytime of day, and are a great crowd pleaser. These tasty sausage subs are stuffed with roast peppers and onions too, plus whatever sauce you fancy.
Sheet Pan Sausage and Veg Subs
These easy sausage baguettes are simple to make – just add sausages to a baking tray with some sliced onions, peppers and a little seasoning and throw in the oven.
I prefer to use pork sausages, but the beauty of this easy one tray sandwich filling is that you can easily customise it to suit your diet. Meat free sausages will work just as well as traditional pork for these sandwiches. You could also use chicken or beef sausages too.
What Bread is Best for Sausage Sandwiches?
I prefer to use sandwich or demi baguettes for these sausage sandwiches. There is just something so wonderfully satisfying about the crunchy texture of the baguettes. Plus they hold their shape well and won’t fall apart when stuffed with the sausages and roasted veg.
You could also use finger rolls, hot dog style brioche rolls or submarine rolls. Basically, any roll will work here, though you may find you want to slice the sausages depending on what shape of roll you choose.
Sausage Sandwich Ingredients
- Sausages – I like to use Cumberland style pork sausages, but whatever sausages you prefer will do. You may be able to reduce the cooking time if using meat-free sausages – check the packet for cooking instructions.
- Sandwich Baguettes – I typically use part-baked baguettes which are easily available in most supermarkets and great to keep on hand. You can use whatever kind of bread rolls you prefer.
- Onion – I prefer to use red onions for the flavour, but regular ones also work well
- Peppers – any colours will do. I like to use 2 different ones.
- Italian Herbs – the typical Italian style dried herb blend found in supermarkets. Or substitute your own blend or just oregano.
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Sauce of your choice– I like to spread my sausage baguettes with a mix of mayo and Dijon mustard. My other half prefers a mix of mayo and ketchup. A good old slathering of butter also works well – use whatever you like best!
To make this recipe gluten free make sure to use sausages and bread rolls without gluten. This recipe can be made vegan or vegetarian by using your preferred plant based sausages.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More sausage recipes:
- Sausage Carbonara
- Vodka Pasta with Sausage
- Sausage and Bean Casserole
- Gnocchi Traybake with Sausage and Fennel
Sausage Sandwiches with Roast Peppers and Onion
- baking tray
- Sharp Knife
- 4 sausages see notes
- 2 sandwich baguettes or finger/sub style rolls
- 2 bell peppers of any colour
- 1 tsp Italian Herb Blend or just oregano
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- sauce or spread of your choice see notes
- Preheat your oven to 200°c/180°c fan/Gas 6/400°F.
- Add sausages to a baking tray and cook in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. (You may be able to skip this step if using meat-free sausages – see notes).
- Slice the peppers and onions and sprinkle with the dried herbs, olive oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Toss to coat before arranging on the baking tray alongside the sausages.
- Cook for 20 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the sausages are cooked through and the peppers and onions are soft and beginning to caramelise.
- Slice open the rolls and spread with your preferred sauce or butter (see notes).
- Stuff each roll with 2 sausages and half of the onions and peppers.
- Serve and enjoy!