If you want a sweet snack with tons of crunch that is perfect for sharing then try this easy party mix with white chocolate. Crunchy cereal and pretzels tossed in melted white chocolate, its sweet with just the right hint of salt. Quick and easy to throw together, this is a great party snack.
This recipe is inspired by Gaby’s Christmas Chex Mix . I watched her make a batch on instagram and knew I needed it in my life. However, Chex cereal is not available here in the UK so I had to improvise and create my own version. So I guess you could call this British Chex Mix?
What is Party Mix?
My White Chocolate Party Mix, aka Chex Mix the UK version, is a mixture of cereal, pretzels and smarties tossed in melted white chocolate. If I’m making this for a particular occasion then I like to decorate with seasonal or coloured sprinkles too.
The beauty of this snack mix is that it can be easily customised to suit your needs and tastes. It is also a great recipe for using up odds and ends of packets of cereal, if you’re like me and get bored before you finish a box!
The ingredients I use for Party Mix are:
- Shreddies – the regular wheat version, but you could also use the frosted, coco or honey versions.
- Cheerios – I like the multigrain Cheerios best, but any variety works.
- Pretzels – I use regular salted mini pretzels, but you can also use pretzel sticks or festive shaped pretzels depending on the season.
- Smarties – or M&Ms or any kind of candy coated chocolate.
- White Chocolate – melted down to coat the rest of the ingredients. I use just a regular bar of white chocolate, but choc chips work too and will melt slightly quicker.
- Optional – depending on what occassion the sweet snack mix is for, I also like to add appropriate sprinkles. In the recipe photos I was making it at Christmas so used red, green and Christams tree shaped sprinkles to add some festive colour. You could use multi-coloured sprinkles for a birthday treat, pink and red for Valentine’s Day or if its for a gift then use the recipients favourite colour.
Shreddies vs Chex
Shreddies are the best substitute I have found in the UK for Chex cereal. They are not exactly the same. Chex come in different varieties like corn, rice and wheat while Shreddies are only made from wheat.
I’m sure many people will disagree with me, but at the end of the day Shreddies are great in this mix anyway. They keep their crunch and their malty taste goes so well with the sweet chocolate.
If you really want to, you can buy Chex cereal in the UK via Amazon, but it’s pretty expensive!
How to Make Party Mix
Step 1. Gather the ingredients – shreddies, cheerios, pretzels, smarties and white chocolate.
Step 2. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Step 3. Melt the chocolate and pour into the dry ingredients. Mix well.
Step 4. Pour mixture onto a lined baking tray and spread out into one even layer. Decorate with sprinkles if desired. Allow to cool and harden before breaking apart to serve.
Customise Your Chex Mix
- Use different cereals – I love to add these multigrain Rice Krispies shapes or Curiously Cinnamon cereal for a twist.
- Add some nuts – lightly salted peanuts or pistachios are a great addition to party mix.
- Add in some coconut flakes for added flavour or mini marshmallows for a different texture.
- Swap the chocolate for milk or dark.
White chocolate can burn easily, especially if you are melting it in the microwave. Microwave in short bursts (20-30 seconds) and stir thoroughly between each. Reduce the length of cooking time down to a few seconds when you are near the end to avoid burning.
For the best results though I do recommend using the double boiler method to melt white chocolate.
For a DIY double boiler, simply heat a half full pan of water on the stove until gently simmering. Turn the heat to low and place a heatproof bowl on top of the pan – it should sit comfortably without touching the water. Add the chocolate to the bowl and stir regularly – the steam from the water will gently melt the chocolate. This method takes a bit longer than the microwave, but the chocolate melts more evnly and is less likely to burn, or overheat and seize.
For best results keep White Chocolate Party Mix in the fridge or freezer – it really does taste better nice and cold. Prepare party mix will store in an airtight container or bag in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for up to a month.
White Chocolate Party Mix makes an excellent homemade gift. Package it up in cellophane bags or mason jars decorated with a bow for a cute festive treat.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More Sweet Treats:
White Chocolate Party Mix
- Large Mixing Bowl
- small heatproof bowl
- 350 grams white chocolate
- 140 grams shreddies
- 50 grams mini salted pretzels
- 40 grams cheerios
- 120 grams smarties or M&Ms
- festive sprinkles optional
- In a large bowl, mix together the shreddies, cheerios, pretzels and smarties.
- Melt the white chocolate using a double boiler or microwave until smooth then pour into the dry mix.
- Mix well with a spatula or large spoon until well combined – the dry ingredients should have a nice coating of chocolate.
- Tip the mix out onto a large baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper and spread out into one even layer.
- Allow to cool for at least 1 hour – the chocolate should be fully dry and hardened. Break apart with your hands into bite-sized chunks to serve.
- For best results store in an airtight container at room temp for 3 days, in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for up to 4 weeks.