Chicken Chorizo Pasta Bake is a crowd-pleasing favourite! Easy to throw together, this pasta bake is full of flavour and ready in under 45 minutes!
Easy Pasta Bake
Who doesn’t love a pasta bake? This classic combination of chicken and chorizo in a please-all pasta bake topped with gooey melted cheese is the perfect easy mid-week meal.
Secrets to the Perfect Pasta Bake
The key to a great pasta bake is the pasta! Be careful not to overcook it – you want the pasta to be just shy of al-dente when you add it to the sauce, as it will continue to cook as it bakes. If you start off with perfectly cooked pasta, you’ll end up with a bit of a soggy mess.
Use a nice robust pasta shape too – rigatoni, penne, fusilli or spirali are my baked pastas of choice.
Pasta bakes are also a great way to use up odds and ends of pasta packets. If I have a few almost empty packs of similar shapes (like rigatoni and penne for example) I combine them in a bake to use up. Just check cooking times.
Pasta Bake with Chorizo
Chorizo is great with decadent, cheesy pasta sauces – it adds a nice bite and a kick of spice.
I used cured chorizo sausage for this Chicken and Chorizo Pasta Bake, but you could use cooking chorizo or even a softer variety like ‘Nduja or sobrasada if you wish. These would melt beautifully into the tomato sauce.
Chicken Chorizo Pasta Bake Ingredients and Subs
- Pasta – a robust shape like penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- Chorizo – I used half a ring of cured chorizo, but you could use cooking chorizo or sub in ‘Nduja or Sobrosada.
- Chicken – breast or thigh, cut into small strips. You could also use leftover roast chicken – just stir it in before adding the tomatoes.
- Tinned Tomato – I love to combine one tin of chopped tomatoes and one tin of cherry tomatoes as I love the whole cherry tomatoes mixed in with the sauce. You could simply use two tins of regular chopped tomatoes though.
- Onion – white or red will work.
- Pepper – red, yellow or orange.
- Mozzarella – Fresh buffalo mozzarella is best, but you can use pre-grated or swap for grated cheddar or parmesan.
- Paprika – use a spicy variety if you like some added heat.
- Fresh Basil – to garnish.
I use this shallow casserole dish for my pasta bake. It’s perfect because it is suitable on the hob and in the oven, so I only need one pot!
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More easy pasta dishes:
- Tuna Pasta Bake with Leeks and Cheddar
- Easy Turkey Bolognese
- Chilli Prawn Linguine
- Vodka Pasta with Sausage
Chicken and Chorizo Pasta Bake
- A large oven-safe frying pan or shallow casserole dish
- 350 grams dried pasta shapes I use penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- 100 grams cured chorizo sausage sliced
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 thighs
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper sliced into strips
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 400 grams tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 grams tin cherry tomatoes or another tin of chopped tomatoes
- 250 grams mozzarella
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- fresh basil to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200°c/180 fan/400f/gas mark 6.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the pasta until just al-dente (about 1 minute less than the packet instructions). Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large oven-safe frying pan or shallow casserole dish. Add the onion and chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes to let the chorizo release its flavour-packed oil.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and add to the pan with the paprika, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fry for 2 minutes to brown the chicken, then stir in the garlic and peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour over the tomatoes and stir well, then bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Take off the heat and stir in the pasta – make sure everything is well combined.
- Tear the mozzarella into pieces and scatter over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Scatter over fresh basil to serve.