Chicken Chorizo Pasta Bake is a crowd-pleasing favourite! Flavourful chorizo sausage, chicken and pasta with a lightly spiced tomato sauce, topped with gooey melted cheese. Easy to throw together, this pasta bake is full of flavour and ready in under 45 minutes!
Easy Pasta Bake
Who doesn’t love a pasta bake? This classic combination of chicken and chorizo in a please-all pasta bake topped with gooey melted cheese is the perfect easy mid-week meal. If you love a pasta bake then try my Pepperoni Pasta Bake, Creamy Tuna Pasta Bake with Leeks and Cheddar or Gnocchi Bake with Tomato, Mozzarella and Red Pepper. If you love anything with the classic combo of Chicken and Chorizo then you need to try this Chicken and Chorizo Stew with Beans or my favourite Chicken and Chorizo Tray bake with Potato and Olives.
Secrets to the Perfect Pasta Bake
The key to a great pasta bake is the pasta! Be careful not to overcook it – you want the pasta to be just shy of al-dente when you add it to the sauce, as it will continue to cook as it bakes. If you start off with perfectly cooked pasta, you’ll end up with a bit of a soggy mess.
Use a nice robust pasta shape too – rigatoni, penne, fusilli or spirali are my baked pastas of choice.
Pasta bakes are also a great way to use up odds and ends of pasta packets. If I have a few almost empty packs of similar shapes (like rigatoni and penne for example) I combine them in a bake to use up. Just check cooking times.
Chicken Chorizo Pasta
Chorizo is great with decadent, cheesy pasta sauces – it adds a nice bite and a kick of spice.
I used cured chorizo sausage for this Chicken and Chorizo Pasta Bake, but you could use cooking chorizo or even a softer variety like ‘Nduja or sobrasada if you wish. These would melt beautifully into the tomato sauce.
This pasta bake is also a great way to use up leftover roast chicken (or even turkey) – just stir in the cooked chicken at the same time as the pasta before baking.
Chicken Chorizo Pasta Bake Ingredients and Subs
- Pasta – a robust shape like penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- Chorizo – I used half a ring of cured chorizo, but you could use cooking chorizo or sub in ‘Nduja or Sobrosada.
- Chicken – breast or thigh, cut into small strips. You could also use leftover roast chicken – just stir it in with the pasta.
- Tinned Tomato – I love to combine one tin of chopped tomatoes and one tin of cherry tomatoes as I love the whole cherry tomatoes mixed in with the sauce. You could simply use two tins of regular chopped tomatoes though.
- Onion – white or red will work.
- Pepper – red, yellow or orange.
- Mozzarella – Fresh buffalo mozzarella is best, but you can use pre-grated or swap for grated cheddar or even feta cheese.
- Paprika – use a spicy variety if you like some added heat.
- Fresh Basil – to garnish.
- Optional Additions: add some chopped chilli with the onions for a spicy kick or stir in some fresh spinach before baking if you want to add more greens to your diet.
I use this shallow casserole dish for my pasta bake. It’s perfect because it is suitable on the hob and in the oven, so I only need one pot!
Yes there is no cream or dairy in this recipe except for the cheese topping. Either skip the cheese or use a dairy free alternative that melts well.
Yes as long as you use a gluten free pasta and chorizo.
Yes, it makes great leftovers. Just reheat in the microwave until piping hot.
I don’t recommend freezing pasta dishes.
Yes – once you have added the pasta to the sauce, cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before baking as per the recipe. If making in advance ensure the chicken is cooked all the way through before storing. You may also want to undercook the pasta by a further minute as it will soak up the sauce as it sits.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More easy pasta dishes:
- Aubergine Ragu with Pappardelle
- Easy Turkey Bolognese
- Chilli Prawn Linguine
- Smoked Salmon and Prawn Linguine
- Creamy Lemon Chicken Pasta
- Broccoli Pasta Bake
Chicken and Chorizo Pasta Bake
- A large oven-safe frying pan or shallow casserole dish
- 350 grams dried pasta shapes I use penne, rigatoni or fusilli
- 100 grams cured chorizo sausage sliced
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 thighs
- 1 onion diced
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper sliced into strips
- 2 cloves garlic diced
- 400 grams tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 grams tin cherry tomatoes or another tin of chopped tomatoes
- 250 grams mozzarella
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- fresh basil to garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 200°c/180 fan/400f/gas mark 6.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil and cook the pasta until just al-dente (about 1 minute less than the packet instructions). Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large oven-safe frying pan or shallow casserole dish. Add the onion and chorizo and cook for 2-3 minutes to let the chorizo release its flavour-packed oil.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips and add to the pan with the paprika, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Fry for 2 minutes to brown the chicken, then stir in the garlic and peppers and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Pour over the tomatoes and stir well, then bring to a simmer. Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
- Take off the heat and stir in the pasta – make sure everything is well combined.
- Tear the mozzarella into pieces and scatter over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden and bubbling.
- Scatter over fresh basil to serve.
This recipe has been linked to CookBlogShare hosted by Helen at Casa Costello
Leave a Reply