Strawberry and Spinach Salad is literally Summer in a bowl! Bursting with berries, spinach, rocket and red onions, drizzled with poppyseed dressing and topped with crunchy almonds and crumbled feta. So delicious!
Summer Berry Salad
So this salad is quite literally Summer in a bowl. It has everything you want – sweet strawberries and blueberries, tangy red onion, creamy feta and crunchy almonds.
The poppyseed dressing is just divine and brings all the flavours together. I’m going to be eating this on repeat until the end of strawberry season.
How to Prepare Strawberry Spinach Salad
To assemble the salad, start with some spinach and rocket – I find these both compliment the fruits perfectly, but pretty much any leafy green will work here.
Hull and halve the strawberries (quarter any big ones!) and thinly slice the onions. Dice the almonds – I like to leave mine raw, but if you prefer you can toast them in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for a few minutes.
You can cut up the feta with a knife but honestly it’s much easier just to crumble it with your fingers.
Toss the strawberries, blueberries, onions, spinach and rocket together, then prepare the dressing. Keep the feta and almonds aside until ready to serve, then scatter them on top.
Make the Poppyseed Dressing
Simply mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl or jar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dress the salad a couple of tablespoons at a time (you might not need to use it all) and toss everything together. Scatter over the feta and almonds and serve.
Tips and Substitutions
- The almonds can easily be swapped out for walnuts or cashews.
- If you need to avoid nuts then sunflower or pumpkin seeds would be delicious.
- If you don’t have (or like) blueberries, just replace them with extra strawberries.
- This makes enough to feed 4 comfortably as a side or 2 as a main course.
- To make this salad vegan simply leave out the feta (or sub in a vegan alternative) and swap the honey in the dressing for agave syrup or 1tbsp granulated sugar.
- I like to serve it with grilled chicken or halloumi
What to Serve with this Strawberry Salad
This Strawberry and Spinach Salad pairs perfectly with an ice-cold glass of Rosé. It is also delicious with some grilled chicken – ideally with a hint of paprika or chilli. I also love it with grilled halloumi instead of feta.
This recipe was inspired by How Sweet Eats’ beautiful Chicken Strawberry Poppyseed Salad.
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
More Easy Salad Recipes:
- Blackberry Basil Chicken Salad
- Kale & Pomegranate Salad
- No Mayo Tuna Salad
- Tomato Mozzarella Salad
- Ultimate Chopped Salad
Strawberry and Spinach Salad with Poppyseed Dressing
- 250 grams fresh strawberries
- 100 grams blueberries
- 100 grams baby spinach
- 30 grams rocket arugula
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 100 grams feta cheese
- 50 grams chopped almonds toasted if you wish
For the Poppyseed Dressing
- ¼ cup olive oil 60ml
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar can substitute white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- ¼ tsp Dijon Mustard or mustard powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Wash the salad leaves and fruits.
- Hull and half the strawberries (quarter any big ones).
- Toss the spinach, rocket, strawberries, blueberries and red onion together in a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, honey, poppyseeds and mustard in a small bowl or jar and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dress the salad a few tablespoons at a time – you may not need to use all the dressing. Toss well.
- Crumble the feta and scatter the chopped almonds over the salad to serve.
This recipe has been linked to CookBlogShare
Leave a Reply