This Chicken and Butternut Squash Stew with Black Beans is hearty and delicious – the perfect easy meal on a cold winter night!
So it’s October and I want to eat all the orange foods. Butternut squash is my favourite at the moment, and I’m trying to find ways to fit it into every meal.
Hearty Chicken and Butternut Squash Stew
This stew is the perfect dinner for a cold night. It does take a little while to cook, but there’s not too much effort involved. And it goes very well with all your favourite cold-weather comfort carbs. I love it the most with buttery mashed potatoes and some steamed broccoli. Try it with rice or some crusty buttered bread. You need something to soak up that delicious sauce.
I used chicken thighs, which stay nice and juicy and add extra flavour to the broth. But you could also use chicken breast if you’re not a fan – I’d suggest cooking the breasts whole in the sauce. Then take them out and shred the meat with a fork before you add it back in with the black beans.
I kept it super simple with the herbs in order to keep the tasty butternut squash the star flavour. But a little pinch of chilli flakes when serving does add a nice hint of spice.
I know that peeling butternut squash can seem like a daunting task. The easiest way I found is to slice off the top and bottom of the squash so you have 2 flat edges. Hold the squash steady upright and use a regular vegetable peeler to peel the outer skin off in downward strokes.
Keep the peeled squash upright and use a sharp kitchen knife to cut it in half straight down the middle. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon and chop into chunks. The trick is to make sure you are using a good quality, sharp knife.
If you’re still not up for the job, there is no shame in buying pre-cut butternut squash chunks. You can buy them frozen in most supermarkets. If you are using frozen, there is no need to defrost them before using in this recipe.
Can I freeze this Chicken Stew?
Yes! Freeze it as soon as it’s cooled and defrost before reheating in the microwave on on the stove. Make sure it’s piping hot throughout.
Looking for another hearty winter meal?
- Try my Beef and Mushroom Ragu
- Lentil and Mushroom Bolognese
- This Simple Sausage and Bean Casserole is perfect comfort food.
I hope you enjoy this easy and tasty Chicken, Butternut Squash and Black Bean stew. Please leave a comment or tag me on Instagram @carrieskitchen_ if you make it!
Chicken, Butternut Squash and Black Bean Stew
- Large casserole dish with a lid – about 3-4 litres
- 600 grams chicken thighs boneless, skin removed and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 butternut squash peeled and chopped
- 400 grams carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 white onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely diced
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish optional
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish with a lid, and brown the chicken – you don't need to fully cook it through at this point.
- Add the onions to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until they start to soften – about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, carrots, squash, thyme and bay and stir well before you add the tomato puree and pour over the stock.
- Stir well, then bring to the boil.
- Put the lid on the pot then turn the heat to low and allow to simmer for 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Take off the lid and give it a stir once or twice while simmering to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beans and stir well then leave to simmer with the lid off for a further 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, garnish with some fresh parsley (and some optional chilli flakes if you like a little spice). Serve with your choice of rice, mashed potato or crusty bread to mop up the sauce.
- This will keep well in the fridge for 2 days.
Leave a Reply