This easy Sausage and Mushroom Pasta with Rocket is a real crowd pleaser. Full of savoury flavour with an added bite of peppery rocket.
Pasta with a Creamy Sausage Sauce
I am in love with this sausage and mushroom pasta with rocket. It’s so full of flavour from the sausage and creamy sauce, and the rocket (arugula) adds a lovely grown-up peppery bite. It makes excellent leftovers too (if you can stop yourself from eating everything in one go) so I love to make this on a Sunday evening – Monday is much easier knowing there’s a delicious dinner already waiting for you at home!
- I use a glass of white wine in the recipe, but you can easily substitute in some chicken stock if you prefer.
- Double cream is one of my weaknesses, but if you’re looking to lighten it up a little then a couple of dollops of creme fraiche will do the trick.
- Grated parmesan to top it off is a must, but a sprinkle of chilli flakes or some lemon zest also goes down a treat.
How to Brown the Sausage-meat
Slice open the sausage skins and pop out the meat. Discard the skins and add the sausage-meat into a hot, oiled pan. As it’s cooking, break up the meat with a spatula or wooden spoon – the same way you would do for mince when cooking bolognese. Break it up into small, even pieces so it resembles crumbles and browns evenly as you cook.
Serve this to your friends alongside a nice crisp glass of dry white wine and I guarantee it will be a crowd-pleaser. Let me know in the comments if you make it!
Looking for another easy dinnertime treat? Try one of these:
- Gnocchi Bake with Tomato & Mozzarella
- Salmon with Courgette Salad
- One-Pot Chorizo Pasta
- Rich Beef Shin Ragu with Red Wine
Sausage and Mushroom Pasta with Rocket
- 1 tsp oil
- 400 gram herby pork sausage, ideally Lincolnshire
- 300 gram chestnut or button mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 200 ml white wine can sub chicken stock
- 200 ml double cream
- 50 gram baby leaf rocket (arugula)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp fresh chopped parsley or 1 tsp dried
- 300 gram your favourite pasta
- Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or pot over a medium to high heat.
- Slice the sausage skins and pop out the meat into the pan.
- Brown the sausage meat and break it up with the back of a spatula or wooden spoon as it cooks – it should all crumble and resemble mince.
- Once the meat is brown, about 5-8 minutes, scoop out the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan then fry the onions for a couple of minutes till they start to soften.
- Add in the garlic and mushrooms and cook for a couple of minutes before you pour over the wine.
- Allow to simmer for about 10 minutes while you cook the pasta according to packet instructions, then drain. Reserve a cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Stir in the parsley and sausage, then turn the heat to low and pour over the cream.
- Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper, mix well then stir in the pasta. If the sauce is too thick to mix, use some of the reserved water from the pasta, adding a tablespoon at a time.
- Place the rocket on top of the pasta mix and give it a minute till it starts to wilt down before you mix everything together.
- Serve with some grated parmesan and an optional sprinkle of chilli flakes.
Leave a Reply