Easy Prawn Jalfrezi
Easy Prawn Jalfrezi is a quick and healthy way to satisfy your mid-week takeaway craving! Made with tinned tomatoes, peppers and as much chilli as you can handle!
Servings: 2 servings
- 200 gram cooked peeled king prawns or jumbo shrimp you can use raw, just adjust the cooking time to make sure they are cooked through
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2-4 green chillis, finely diced with seeds removed adjust to your preferred spice level
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 400 gram tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 red pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 green pepper, cut into ½ inch pieces
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- ½ tsp granulated sugar or honey
- fresh coriander optional, to garnish
Heat the oil in a wok or frying pan over a medium high heat. Add the sliced onions and diced chilli and cook for 2 minutes.
Add in the spices, stir well, then add the ginger, garlic and peppers.
Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour over the tin of chopped tomatoes.
Fill the empty tomato tin with cold water and pour into the pan. Stir in the sugar plus a pinch of salt and pepper.
Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Add in the prawns and cook to warm through for 1-2 minutes (more if using raw prawns - until they turn pink). Taste and add a little more salt and pepper if desired.
Garnish with some fresh chopped coriander and serve with rice or flatbreads (or both) and enjoy!
Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 25g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 252mg | Sodium: 851mg | Potassium: 1156mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 3252IU | Vitamin C: 109mg | Calcium: 205mg | Iron: 4mg